Sunday, July 20, 2008

Grandma's Visit

Today was my first time seeing my granny in awhile. Everytime I come over she always feels the need to cook enough for the whole Rutgers campus. I'm not really sure why. I mean I do eat a lot but I really don't eat a massive amount or anything. Anyway, she made us fried chicken, Thai papaya salad, and Thai green curry. This chicken was madd good, I really have no idea why, but ALLLL fried chicken in Thailand are amazingly good. Imagine the KFC but 27 times better. Just imagine fried chicken with very thin breading (it's hard because I was used to KFC's 4 inches of tasteless breading) Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. 
The papaya salad is a traditional dish. I'm honestly not a really big fan but a lot of people are obsessed with this dish. It's 'raw' papaya which means they use papaya when they're still green and solid (rather than yellow and mushy). The papaya gives it a crunchy texture. The salad is sweet, sour, spicy and tangy all in one bite. The sprinkle it with peanuts that I absolutely hate. 
Green curry is one of my favorite dishes. I'm very used to the green curry from the restaurants in NY. All those places use the coconut milk from a can to make curry. My granny makes everything from scratch. She squeezes her own coconut milk, which makes this curry taste completely different from what I'm used to. This was amazing including the exotic vegetables that I've never had in my curry in NY. 

No comments: