Saturday, November 8, 2008

Squid Man's Tan

Over by where I live there's this fresh market/food market. It's like a long strip of just food. Most of them are pretty well known and most people travel pretty far just to come get food from the little carts that are stationed here. One of my favorites is this squid man. This man comes with his cart at 4pm every day and has been selling grilled stuff on skewers for 20 years now.
I caught him at 4pm on the dot because if I come after business hour (when people get out of work) the line would be too long.
I know they don't look super sanitized. But imagine if they were clean, you think they'd still be any good?? I think not. Some food are better with some grime. Oh and I know it looks like he has very little food to sell for the whole shift. It's crazy because I thought about his food running out before, and how big of a crisis that would create. This little cart looks shitty but he has a cooler/fridge at the bottom of his cart!!! 
This is his money making (charcoal)grill. Not so sure why he only has one when he gets so many order at once. Those are the squid I ordered on skewers, the rest... I think they call those red things 'hot dogs' here and the white ones are meatballs or something. The hot dogs look so gross though. 
After they are completely grilled, he dips them into this SUPER spicy sauce. It burns the crap out of your mouth but it's so good you can't stop eating. 

No comments: